Mozzarella Caprese is a classic Italian salad that is simple to make and delicious. I love making this in the summertime, using fresh, locally grown tomatoes and basil. I have also been able to find some locally made fresh mozzarella as well.
Here’s how to make this easy dish.
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese (I am a fan of BelGioioso or local high quality cheese)
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into 1/4-inch thick slices. You can also find mozzarella that is pre-sliced, which is convenient.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick slices as well.
- Arrange the slices of cheese and tomatoes on a platter, alternating them.
- Gather whole basil leaves, and insert between your tomatoes and cheese. You can also cut up the basil and sprinkle across the tomato/cheese platter.
- Drizzle olive oil over the salad.
- Sprinkle some salt and freshly ground black pepper over the salad.
- You can also drizzle balsamic vinegar over the mozzarella caprese.
Serve and enjoy!
Some fun ways I have made caprese to make it more visually interesting and change up the flavor a little:
~ Use various color tomatoes, such as red, yellow, or purple.
~ Use different colors of basil.